Monday, December 15, 2008

Closure-Self Esteem

First, let me clarify from the last post something that I posted, and didn't mean it how I posted it. We ARE saved by faith. What was meant in that post is that it is because of convictions that we turn to confess our sins and accept salvation. Through salvation, the "seed" of faith is planted within us, and as we grow in our spiritual walk, that seed (which is our faith) also grows. Are we on the same page now? Good. Let's move on....

Ok. After prayer, and shortly after, a phonecall from Dad, with tons of resources at his fingertips, and lots and lots of scriptures, I have found the scripture that answers it for me.

1 John 3:16-23 (New King James Version)

The Outworking of Love

16 By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 17 But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?
18 My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth. 19 And by this we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before Him. 20 For if our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and knows all things. 21 Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence toward God. 22 And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight. 23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment.


So basically, what it boils down to is that if we are walking in faith, and living in the truth, and KNOW we are living in the truth, then there will be no doubt in ourselves. But even in the weakest of moments, when we do doubt ourselves, or as the scripture says, condemn ourselves, God is greater than that doubt, that insecurity. He knows our hearts better than we do. He knows my heart just as well as he knows the heart of the prideful man standing next to me. That within itself should give us comfort in who we are, and help us to be able to boldly stand and speak His name, without fear of persecution. After all, the worst that can happen is death of the flesh, and that just sends us to our Heavenly Father! How is that bad??? And of course, that boils down to having faith, and trusting God wholeheartedly to take care of us, and know that He will reward us, whether we feel worthy of that reward or not.

Paul says it best (as he always does!) in 1 Corinthians 15:9

1 Corinthians 15:9-11 (New King James Version)

9 For I am the least of the apostles, who am not worthy to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10 But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not in vain; but I labored more abundantly than they all, yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me. 11 Therefore, whether it was I or they, so we preach and so you believed.


So, whether I feel worthy to be called a child of God, a pastor, a missionary, a teacher, or whatever God has called me to be, or not-I am what God has made me, and what He has called me to be. And that, simply put, is enough. It just doesn't matter what man thinks. God's opinion is the only one that matters :)

2 comments:

Crystal said...

I totally agree with your feelings on this. That is why it's so important for us not to judge others. Like you said "His opinion is the only one that counts"

I also love "children's" book called "You are Special" by Max Lucado This story gives you the same sense of feeling and I know I want to be the wemmick who has NO stars or dots....hehe

Jon said...

http://www.nogreaterjoy.org/articles/general-view/archive/2008/february/06/mike-answers/

The above "article" really helped me with the whole self-esteem/humility thing. I know exactly where you are coming from! The question is asked by a 9th grader, but it is a good question & a great answer. You are beautiful because you glorify God. When we are serving & loving Him, living in the Spirit, His glory is reflected. That's why He can even speak through a donkey, it doesn't matter what we look like, how we behave, or even what species we are, He desires to be glorified through us! It's all about Him!

People will see that in you & likely do (I do!) You have to just trust Him with your heart, tender as it is. I am preaching to myself as well!!

Love you!!!!
"CB"

My Crazy Life

My photo
I am a Christian wife and homeschooling mom of two precious boys. I enjoy photography and spending time with my family, along with any other hobby I can manage to dig my nails into. I'm married to PJ, God's precious gift to me ;) I'm honest, passionate, and find myself falling deeper and deeper in love with my Creator each and every day that passes. I was diagnosed as a Type 1 Diabetic at the age of 10. I chose not to care about my health then, and am paying the price now with multiple complications including kidney damage and neuropathy. I currently reside in Florida, where God led my family in February of 2011, but my heart is, and will forever be, in Alabama.