Monday, December 15, 2008

Self Esteem Take 2

Ok-so let's continue that topic. I want to pick back up with Romans 12:3. There's A LOT in that little verse, I think. And trust me when I tell you, we're picking this apart together, because I'm still trying to understand it myself.

Romans 12:3-"For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith"

So, think soberly. Ok, there's that whole issue. Should Christians drink? Is it a sin? I personally don't believe that the act of drinking is a sin, but I do not believe Christians should drink. The Bible really isn't black and white on this one. No where in the Bible does it say not to consume alcohol. BUT-here, it says to think soberly. So drunkenness is a sin then? That's what I take from it. You'll have to work this topic out between yourself and the Lord, though. That's not really where I want to hover...let's move on.

What about this "measure" of faith that He's dealt to each one? What exactly IS a measure of faith? We go to Ephesians 4:7;

"But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ's gift."


There's that measure again. How much is a "measure"? Where do we find the answer to this? What is Paul referring to? Let's dig some more, shall we?

In my searches of the vast world wide web so far, I've seen one guy say that we don't get faith by ourselves. That God determines how much faith we have, and deals it to each one accordingly, using certain measures to determine how much you get. Ok... really? I can't seem to even BEGIN to believe that. If that were the case, then why does God even tell us to have faith in Him? If he's already dealt it out and knows how much faith we have, why does He test our faith? Sounds like this guy is of that predestination crowd. No thanks... I"ll keep searching my Bible.

So now what? I still don't have answers to what a "measure" of faith is? So far we have:
1. a measure of faith (Rom. 12:3)
2. a measure of Christ's gift (Eph. 4:7)

How can one word stump me so much? How is that this one word is keeping me from fully understanding this scripture, and what I need to take from it? Am I reading too far into it? I don't think so... I really feel that this "measure" of faith will help me to understand the original issue-how much self esteem is too much?

Stay tuned for more as I seek God on this. Please, feel free to add your comments/suggestions.

No comments:

My Crazy Life

My photo
I am a Christian wife and homeschooling mom of two precious boys. I enjoy photography and spending time with my family, along with any other hobby I can manage to dig my nails into. I'm married to PJ, God's precious gift to me ;) I'm honest, passionate, and find myself falling deeper and deeper in love with my Creator each and every day that passes. I was diagnosed as a Type 1 Diabetic at the age of 10. I chose not to care about my health then, and am paying the price now with multiple complications including kidney damage and neuropathy. I currently reside in Florida, where God led my family in February of 2011, but my heart is, and will forever be, in Alabama.